CD TRANSPORT THAT MAKES AN AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE

I CURRENTLY USE A CAMBRIDGE TRANSPORT WITH MY BERKELEY DAC 2 AND TOGETHER IT SOUNDS VERY, VERY GOOD - ALMOST GREAT : )

AMP, SPEAKERS AND CABLES ARE ALL EXCELLENT TOO.  

WHAT CD TRANSPORT WILL MAKE A SIGNIFICANT, AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE?

Paul

128x128paul_lindemann

asctim,

You sound much more knowledgeable about such things than I am. I'm an engineer, but the mechanical kind. I'm assuming you could do what you're looking at, but as an audiophile my job is to find the companies that do what I cannot....at a cost I can afford.

Having owned several CD players, and since transports; the Audiolab is the best I have owned, and the Jay's is the best I have personally had in my system on loan.

As with most things in this hobby, I have found that bits is not bits.....and higher quality components usually provide better sound 

I step in and out of the 'must upgrade arena', this is seemingly for the reason.         I am new to using Digital as a Source within the Main System, with only a few+ years of CD in use as a Source.

I moved quite swiftly from CDP to CDT > DAC and have a Bespoke Built Valve Rectified / Valve Output DAC, with a PS Audio Perfect Wave Memory Player.  

I have heard with a intention to evaluate more DAC's than Transports and a few other CDP Models over the period of time I have been using a Digital Source.

Recently a friend put their own designed DAC with a Build Cost of approx' £350  out for a Demonstration and undergo comparison with other Digital Devices to be used.

The outcome of this has been a Denafrips Venus II owned by a HiFi Dealer as their personal DAC, is now wanting to depart from the DAC and the own design DAC owner is keen to experience my Set Up in use in their own system, as they feel the Transport can be found for very fair money used and can have real potential.

For me, It will be good to sit down and Compare my Transport > DAC with another DAC in a system I am quite familiar with.

The idea of getting out and receiving demonstrations of equipment, is in my view, the only method to aide the OP in attaining the New Experience of produced sound they are hoping to achieve.

When discoveries are made that are attractive, if a Home Demo' is achievable, the experience will be very valuable in making a assessment for a purchase.   

charlesdad1

You are correct it does seem to be well made while it also seems to buck the notion good gear is to have a substantial foot print.  The Benchmark LA4 pre is also not very big but is a joy to own. (got one after hearing it used in another enthusiasts system.)  The RS2T has totally transformed my cd collection, exactly what I was hoping for. Even lesser discs sound better. Listening to tracks that I used to bypass. Now plan to scour used racks at "record" stores for bargain, high quality sound.   So glad the issue seems to have disappeared. Oh, am definitely going to snag a linear power supply. 

@cymivka 

The RS2T has totally transformed my cd collection, exactly what I was hoping for

Yes. This is why in my own way I’ve tried to spread the awareness of the RS2T.  For those listeners who enjoy physical CD media and high quality Redbook CD sound, this transport is a superb sounding option.

I understand your point about size/weight/footprint etc. Pro-Ject explicitly explains small “box”  compactness was their product goal. Diminutive physically and big sonically. They achieved their objective with flying colors.

Charles