CD synchro recording on Yamaha CDR-S1000 via coax

G'day all

I'm no high-end genius, but I am a Yamaha devotee.

Since 2000 I've been steadily dubbing my vinyl to CD using the analog connection between my Yamaha CDR-S1000 and the AVX-20 amp hooked to my Thorens t/t, with sensational results and no problems whatsoever.

I recently recorded several CDs for my wedding and had guests asking me for copies. So I bought an Acoustic Research AP071 coax cable and connected the digital out on my CDX-750 to the digital in on my CDR-S1000. Seemed logical that I should be able to bypass the amp to dub from one analog source CDR (ie one of my 'wedding' CDs) to a new CDR, without having to manually mark the tracks.

Sadly this hasn't worked. I have found that in the synchro dubbing process, the CDR marks new tracks every few seconds or so, rather than at the end of each track. I've tried recording single tracks and the whole disk with the same undesirable outcome. I've also tried synchro dubbing from a commercially-recorded source (ie not a CDR). Finally, I re-tried the above processes using a digital optical connector between the CDX-750 and the CDR unit, each time with the same result.

If anyone has any ideas about what I'm doing wrong, I'd be extremely grateful to hear from you!
grantc8f6
Hi, a while ago I used to dub from my Pioneer Laserdisc
player to my Sony Minidisc recorder USING the
Coax Digital cable, and it would ALWAYS make the
tracks right. You MIGHT need to go into the MENU
of your recorder to fix this problem. If you have your
manual, look for something like the Time Interval,
amount time in between tracks for the ID to mark
another track.
What machine were the recently recorded wedding cdr's recorded on. If recorded on a computer with a data cdr it won't playback in your Yamaha.
What input source component did you record from. If recorded from a cd thru the digital cables the track markers should transfer.
When making an analog recording, spaces of silence are interpreted as track seperations, and a new track marker is automaticlly placed when a new audio signal is detected. The silence should be about 4 seconds long. Automatic track marking may not perform propertly if the recording source has excessive noise or contains a lot of low level sounds. It is then recommend that you use the manual recording as per page 16 of your manual.
G'day again, and thanks for the responses.

Hey Isellstuff, thanks for the tip, but sadly there's no menu on this Yamaha component. The track marking was occurring at random intervals. So I'd start the source disc - with track one of 6:51 in length, but track one on the CDR would be recorded for say 12 seconds, then track two on the CDR would be marked as the source continued to play, and track three would start 5 seconds later, then track four after a further 8 seconds etc. Maddening stuff.

Just to clarify my earlier posting Richingoth, I'd recorded the wedding CDRs manually on the CDR-S1000 (not on a computer) from a mixture of commercial CDs, my own CDRs and LPs. As this was done manually, I used the analog connections. So after I'd played each track I stopped the recording process, which as you're doubtless aware automatically marks the tracks. Onto your last point - I guess it's possible there's low level noise in these recordings which could be throwing the track marking out. However do you think this would also explain why I couldn't successfully record a track from a good quality commercially available classical CD using the digital coax connection without random track markings spoiling the result?

Thanks again for your help all!
With classical music it is possible your recorder could put in new track numbers during the very quit sections, (but only if recorded in the analog mode I think ?). I would check the total number of tracks of your recorded finalized cdr and compare it to the source cd total track numbers to see if the total track numbers add up. Good luck.