For CD sound; any difference?
ptss

Showing 7 responses by ptss

yes, it's a serious question.
The Esoteric is from 2005...
The 105D is virtually new.
10 years difference.
Is it unreasonable to think technological
improvements over 10 years could be that great?
Based on other electronic developments-I don't
think it was such a stretch.
Would a super TV from 2005 match
today's 4K?
Georgelofi. Th Sabredacs in the Oppo seem to have a good rep.
What is the difference to the 'older' dacs in the Esoteric and why are they better? Thanks.
Zephyr. I appreciate your response and the difference in build and analog quality. I was thinking more along the line of a 10 yr old state of the art hi-def,1080P TV versus a new good quality 4K TV and wondering if that was the situation. Thanks.
Stereo 5, I have not questioned the quality of the Esoteric. Just considering the evolution of the technology.
Thanks Zephyr. I will. I took a look at your magnificent system and appreciate your attention to detail.
Thanks Zd. As I'm not knowledgeable about DACS I thought perhaps the newer Sabre DACS may be much better than the 10 year old units in the Esoteric. As for the analog side I appreciate quality but know significant improvements have taken place there as well.I still use a Spectral DMC20. It has a separate power supply the same size as the preamp. I'm assuming it was highly regarded when it came out -but- newer preamps from Spectral seem no larger than my preamp--but don't use (need) a separate power supply and are more refined according to all reviews. I view the elimination of all that hardware for the power supply to be very significant as I've had to use serious isolation and conditioning units to significantly improve the sound of my DMC20. Yet all my 'stuff' is now within the newer tiny preamps. Ergo, I speculated on the Oppo improvements despite modest size and less cost.
Yes Zephyr, I agree it's all about the music and without question the reproduction by a quality system certainly enhances my enjoyment of particularly classical music, jazz and solo instruments. High end reproduction allows me the greatest 'highs' from the genius composers and players. Our addictive hobby pays great rewards for me, and it sounds like most of us here.