cd player with volume control - under 500

i'm looking for a CD player for my girlfriend that she can drive with an old B & K amplifier. It would be great if it was a carousel although this is not absolutely necessary. As far as the sound is concerned, warm and round would be preferable (as opposed to sharp and detailed). Someone recommended a Denon carousel. Any other ideas?

Gregg
greggtrgi

Showing 1 response by marksalamon

The Dynaco company briefly offered a line of tube-type CD players (the CDV-1, CDV-2 and CDV-PRO) whose warmth and smooth sound was often compared, in reviews, to that of players costing several times more. These Dynaco models have a volume control and are capable of substituting for a preamplifier in a simplified audio system (because there are no other tone controls or audio inputs on these units.) These players are not carousels, but are supplied with a remote control device. I am very pleased with the Dynaco CDV-2 I am using as a CD player/preamplifier, coupled with Paradigm Reference Active 40 loudspeakers (whose power amplifiers are built-in.) I have even split the Dynaco's output signal successfully between separate amplifiers powering front and rear speakers independently in a 4-channel "Home Theater System" so these CD players appear to provide plenty of "gain." All three versions of the Dynaco tube-type CD player have been discontinued by the manufacturer, but I was able to buy mine from a reputable seller who runs his own small business refurbishing and reselling Dynaco equipment at reasonable prices, including a 90-day warranty. His name is Mark Voigt, and I remember he sells the CDV-1 model for right around $500.00; you may wish to contact him at his e-mail address:

[email protected]

I found Mark to be very knowledgeable, straightforward, and helpful answering questions I had pertaining to my particular audio needs, all without pressuring me into a purchase. Hope you find the CD player you're seeking!