Cd player w/ digital input + volume control $2500

Folks,

I'm looking for a CD player with digital input capability and also variable output (volume control). My goal would be to run directly into an amp as it will be the only source component in my system.

I have 1200 or so CD's so I need a player, but I also want to feed from a Sonos, hence the digital input.

I used to have a Cary 303/300 and really liked the sound from it, but it does not have the digital input unfortunately, if I recall correctly.

I figure if I can forego the preamp, I can justify going as high as $3000 for the unit. Used would be OK if it is a reliable product.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a device in the same quality as the 303/300 or better that meets these requirements.

If there are none that will satisfy my preferences, I'll probably drop the variable output in favor of going to a preamp. The digital inputs must be available, however.

Any recommendations? It looks like none of the Current Cary products will meet these requirements. Darn, I wish the 303/300 had digital inputs.

Thanks,

---Michael
mjm6

Showing 1 response by bradz

What is the amp and speakers you are using now and what type of sound are you looking for from a cdp? You may consider a Resolution Audio Opus 21 which has direct amp capability along with a digital input. I purchased a GNSC Opus 21 several years ago and been happy ever since. It is the closest to analog sound I've heard in my system from any cdp. My previous cdp was a Cary 303/100 which crapped out on me several years ago and the sound from what I remember was nice, but a very forward sounding cdp. Keep us up to date on what you decide.