Cd player or Nautilus 804

I recently changed speakers from B&W Matrix 802 to the N804s. The speakers have been broken in for about a month and I am still not sure of the results. I know I like the sound better than the M802's, being more open and less laidback. The problem is on some material, the music seems a bit harsh and not a smooth as I previously remembered. At this point, however, I am not sure if it really is the speaker or my source.

The rest of my system is Krell HTS 7.1 (has preamp mode - a bypass) with KAV series amps, XLO ref & sig. cables, Cal CL10 CD changer and a sony 7700 dvd player. My general observations are...

*Cal with preamp section (bypass)...more open and forward vocals (Like)....detail sounding with less emphasis on the lower midrange (don't like..seems lacking). Can sound bright and harsh at times. Some CDs really shine, but overall fatiguing.

*Cal going through Krell analog inputs...vocals are more laidback, but a lot of the harshness is gone. More balance sounding with more noticeable lower-end. Nicer overall presentation, but doesn't seem as dynamic and engaging.

*Sony used as a transport...a bit surprised that it sounded as good as it did...sounded very similar (maybe better) to the Cal with the analog inputs. Once again, less harshness, but vocals are recessed. Seems more on the analytical side versus dynamic and musical.

At this point, I am not sure what to focus on....Is my issue with the CD player or the speakers? I know people either love or hate B&Ws, but I think the speakers can deliver the sound I am looking for without being bright (?) I am a bit surprised with the CAL...vocals are good (albeit a tendency to be bright) but much less emphasis on the lower end (didn't notice with M802's).

I have tried an Arcam player & I wanted to like it, but it didn't seem dramatically better than I have. Vocals were not as forward as the Cal and it didn't seem bright. It just didn't win me over. I am going to listen to a Cary 303 and the Ayre CX-7 player this weekend on my exact same setup at the dealer. I am just not sure this will get the desired result....a dynamic, detailed musical presentation without being fatiguing.

Sorry for such a long post....just not sure what to do next. Any thoughts...should I focus on the cd player? are the speakers part of the issue or just passing on what it is getting? Can a change in the CD player address all of these issues?

thank you, macct

macct

Showing 1 response by shawnnyc

I, too, was initially disappointed with my N804s, but after about 300 hours, and an upgrade or two in upstream components, I'm now pretty happy (which is about the best that a neurotic audiophile can hope for). I found that a high-current amp was critical for bass, and that a good digital front-end (Wadia) made a huge difference in all areas.

As to your specific issue, you may want to experiment by making a partial "hood" for the tweeters out of felt padding. Absorbing the tweeters' side and rear emissions close to the source is more effective and cheaper than treating the walls. It looks stupid, but it's a really great experiment, and you may decide that being able to place the speakers close to a wall with the hoods is the most practical solution. Also, since they're front-ported, the bass is still pretty tight near a wall. Finally, don't underestimate the amount of energy that the Nautilus tweeter sends out of the hole at its rear. Using just a bit of felt to absorb that may be all the difference that you need.

Happy listening, and let us know what happens.