CD player NOT made in China under $1,000?

Is there a CD player NOT Made in China, but preferably Made in Quality, under $1,000?
waryn

Showing 4 responses by waryn

Great; I knew I would find some good answers here! Thanks!

The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 seems to be an older model; reviews date back to 2001 and 2002. Does that not matter?

Rich wrote: "There's the Rega Apollo. Don't quite accept the quality reference though."

Good lead, thanks. Regarding the quality reference, do you mean that the Rega is not good quality, or do you mean that all Made in China stuff is not necessary poor quality?

I have a plastic cup Made in China. It leaks.
Tgrisham wrote: "the same quality made in the US or Canada or Europe will be twice as much"

That's perfectly OK with me. So why is there not a larger selection of CD players made in these countries at $1,000 or so? There are hundreds (thousands) of China-made CD players under $500; I would be prepared to buy the same made in the UK or Germany if it was twice (or, pushing a little, even three times the price).

I have several issues with buying stuff Made in China (let's say it has bad vibes), and I am amazed that the disappearance of any low and mid-range products made elsewhere has seemingly gone un-noticed.
Well, thanks for all the thoughts and advice. A local dealer offered me the Cyrus CD6S - the old model, but new in box, at US$1,100. I went ahead and ordered it, knowing it can be upgraded to the latest model if needed. I'll report on it here later. It is made in England.
Well, I just received my new end-of-line Cyrus CD6S. It is quite an improvement over my ageing Arcam Alpha 7SE. The Cyrus is beautifully presented, and the attention to detail is reassuring; i.e. the instruction manual is well written and printed, the remote is very logical and, of course, the sound is beautiful - very detailed.

The negative point is the tray mechanism, as pointed out in other reviews. It sounds like a cheap PC CD drive. It is purely esthetical and occurs only when loading or unloading the CD; it does not otherwise affect the performance of the machine. The newer models have a CD swallowing mechanism (slot loading) instead - not sure if I would have preferred that.

Anyway, another beauty of this beast is that it can be upgraded to various upper models, including the latest one, if desired.

I understand there is still a small supply of Cyrus CD6S end-of-line units at bargain prices.