CD player NOT made in China under $1,000?

Is there a CD player NOT Made in China, but preferably Made in Quality, under $1,000?
waryn

Showing 5 responses by kijanki

Spoolyt -
"You want junk, they will give you junk"

- completely agree. There is a factory in Korea called "Samic" that manufactures guitars (largest in the world). Assembly lines are totaly automated and everything is computerized. They built about 0.5 million instruments a year. Most guitars come from them. When they build expensive guitars for Gretch they dial different woods and hardware than when the order is for cheap guitars.

Not only that PC boards inside of "Made in USA" electronics are assembled in China but also semiconductors come most likely from the fab in China, Inodnesia, Singapur, Korea etc.

Once, when I felt very patriotic, I bought Ford. Thing did not work as I expected (it was a disaster). Now I have Toyota Avalon that just had first brake job after 12 years and 100k miles. No single problem or repair, just oil changes (looks and drives like new). It was built in Kentucky. Both cars were made in USA but Japanese design and used materials were better.

I bought recently Metabo Drill. It was the only company still manufacturing at home in Germany and very proud of it. It says on the handle "Made in PRC" (Peoples Republic of China).
Trelja - where do you see 75% failure rates? Cambridge Audio manufactures in China and there failure rate is not so high. Cambridge design engineer once told me that manufacturing their gear in UK would raise price 2x.

CNC is a good thing. People hand made stuff for ages because there was no other way. CNC is more accurate and repeatable - not to mention production cost. There is still a lot of gear hand soldered but we move toward SMT and SMT automatic assembly machines in China are the same as in US.
Trelja - It's amazing that this company is still in business. I'm surprised by better quality of hand soldered components than SMT. My experience is different. SMT process is much better controlled than hand soldering. Company I work for had a lot of problems with hand soldering a no problems at all with SMT - zero. SMT process is well controlled to pitch of 12 mils while density/pitch of an audio board is usually not smaller than 20 mils. Many companies use SMT boards (Krell, Linn etc) and a lot of CD players have SMT boards. Where this boards come from? - most likely from China. I suspect that as long as gear is put together here it can be called "Made in USA". It would be interesting to find exactly same piece of equipment made at the same time in two countries.
Trelja - I agree, good design and management is the main factor. People can be trained including quality control.

Waryn is afraid of CD player "Made in China", but he should be afraid of Chinese CD players. Rowland uses Icepower boards manufactured now by B&O in China. It's still Rowland isn't it?