CD player in the $2,500 to $5,000 range

I sold my old system (Bryston, MG 3.6r, Oracle Delphi, Parasound CD player) and have been working on putting together a simpler and smaller system. With advice from others on Audiogon, I bought a lovely pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, and a Cary SLI-80 Signature. Now I need to pick a CD player.

I listen to primarily piano music, opera, and chamber music (plus a smattering of jazz, from time-to-time). I don't give a darn about the "hi-fi experience." Grain free, no fatigue, timber accuracy, is what I value.

I'm thinking:

Ayre CX-7e
Meridian G08
AR CD3
Marantz SA 11s1

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MMC
msmcelwee

Showing 1 response by puremusic

Msmcelwee,

I have the Ayre CX-7e in my second system. If you want to be within the $3,000 range and you don't want to consider modded players, the 7e is the ticket.

However, if timber accuracy and grain free and fatigue free characteristics are very important to you, I would suggest, if possible, stretch your upper limit to about $6,000 and get a fully modded APL 3910. I have the APL 3910 in my primary system. It's performance is close to the no-holds-barred players currently available in the market for about one-third the cost! It's detailed, yet not analytic. It reproduces the sweet delicacy of music without smearing the fine and rich harmonic texture. It's ability to re-create the textural and dynamic nuances draws you in into the music. It is very involving. It's realism at times is jaw dropping. Extention in lows and highs is superb; as are the dynamics, both micro and macro. If you value balance and coherence, it delivers. Personally, I don't listen to music (mainly classical) for the soundstaging and imaging, but both are impressive on the APL. Find a source where you can listen to it and decide for yourself. After a brief listen I was hooked and stretched my budget to place the order. If you are not able to extend the upper limit of your budget, talk to Alex at APL HiFi, he can do a partial mod for less than $6,000. This player is in a much higher league than those you listed. A distant second to the APL 3910 is the Ayre CX-5e (retails for $6,000). It too is in a higher league than your listed units.

Great Listening,
John