CD Player for Macintosh / B&W N804

With the help of this forum I decided to get McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier for my B&W N804 speakers.

Now I am front of choosing CDP. I know there have been a lot of discussions on CD players and I read them all for the past few days. Still I am not clear, there are many different opinions.

I am looking to spend $1K-1.5K or so, for new or used unit. I'd prefer to have a 5-CDs changer, but there are not that good as I understand. What about if I get a changer and use it as transport and also get a DAC? -- This setup is kinda intimidating for newbie :-)

I am looking at these units, seems they have favorable feedback:
Meridian 507, 508, 588 used
Linn Ikemi used

What do you think abour Linn Classik new?

I'd really appriciate if you share your CDP experience with simular equpiment. I listen mostly classical and rock.

Thanks in advance,
Konstantin
konstantin_agon

Showing 1 response by hififile

Dear Konstantin,

I had the same situation. I too have the McIntosh 6500 integrated (great piece by the way). I was looking for a CD player. I purchased A sony 555es SACD and sold it. Good but not superb. Next I bought a used YBA, also good but not quite there though, and sold that (got tired of 2 remotes and it's function.

I bought the McIntosh MVP-841. The sound was better than the previous machines, the remote functions were integrated into 1 controller, I can also play DVD's, and the system is well matched visually and sonically. I never thought the 841 would play CD's like a truly high-end player, and I took a very expensive "chance". It was worth every penny, and I highly recommend it. Hopefully your McIntosh dealer will allow you to take one home for a demo.

Hope this helps & Good Luck