CD Player for ARC/B&W 802 Matrix

For around $1500 a used ARC CD2,Meridian 508.24 or4 Linn Ikemi can be had.Any real difference between these units or is it worth an extra $1500 to step up to a used ML 39 or new Electrocompanient? I'm tired of waiting for the SACD/DVD-A alternatives to develop.
tonyp54

Showing 1 response by audiotomb

Tony

these players both sound nice but use old technology.
WIth upsampling done right you can get much better resolution of low level detail, seperation of instruments, etc..

I was looking to buy an Arc C2 and took it home to demo for a long weekend, I later took an ARC DAC3 (highest end tube dac). It was more refining than a Sonic Frontiers but was not as revealing as an EVS Millenium II DAC which I purchased on a 30 day return policy(no longer available, but Ric can mod an existing dac (tweakaudio.com))

Find a new player or dac with upsampling

You can always buy a quality used transport and a good dac now.

Or you can snag an Audio Aero Prima 24/192 version (haven't heard it myself, but it's getting hot press), the little brother of the Capitol ($6000, which everyone seems to be raving about) for a little more than the $1500.

do a search on audio aero for more details (this thread is good ( 1022147810 ) or visit their website
www.audioaero.com

best of luck in this pursuit

tom