CD has laid back and uninvolving sound

Hi folks, yesterday I listened again to vinyl. I conducted also a comparison between vinyl and CD. The most peculiar thing with CD is that the sound seems to be more laid back, distant and uninvolving. With vinyl the sound has more bloom, is less laid back and has more PRaT. To me this laid back and distant sonic character of CD is the most significant finding and bothers me quite a lot. How can I improve this? Btw, my digital front end: MBL 1621 transport + Accustic Arts Tube DAC. Would Wadia DAC (the old Wadia 9 or another classic Wadia) be better in rendering a more upfront and engaging sound (more PRaT)?

Chris
dazzdax

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

Dazzdax- If you've never read this article in Stereophile, it may give you some insights as to what's missing. (http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/index.html) If your system delivers the dynamics you enjoy via vinyl, you may need to address your CD transport or DAC. Have you taken any steps with regard to isolation for the transport? Much can be lost(solidity/definition) in the lower registers through resonances/vibration. I'd second the suggestion of tube rolling in the DAC also. NOS Siemens and Telefunken tubes always deliver excellent bottom end response and definition(not to mention transparency throughout the entire audio bandwidth). The 50's Siemens ECC83's(long plates) are excellent, or you could go all out with a pair of Tele ECC803S tubes. It's hard to imagine the digital equipment you own lacking PRaT.
Teajay- I didn't want to press the issue, given his negative reaction to the suggestions made. But, AMEN!! The correct NOS tubes(and other mentioned tweaks) can/will/would have a profound impact regarding the sound qualities he's seeking. Well- At least: They did in the last three DACs I owned, and the CCa's do in my BAT VK-D5 now. Everyone has their own set of values and personal limitations though. Happy listening!!