Cayin A88T amp section vs. McIntosh MC275 IV?

Okay, so I realize that on paper, the Cayin unit (which I am currently using) should get blown away by the 275 from McIntosh. I demoed the Mac at a dealer, and they are clearing out their demo gear (offered me a great price). Impossible to audition at home, though (I don't think they want returns on their demo gear). Any ideas? I am currently using the amp section of the Cayin with a Modwright 9.0 Signature preamp, and it is really nice combo. But, it is also the first KT88 tube unit I have had in my house. I could upgrade to the 275 for not too much money, provided it is an actual upgrade.

It wouldn't be bad to have more power (the Cayin sounds like plenty, though). Since I was thinking of upgrading my preamp (Mac C220 was on the radar, amongst others) I thought the 275 might be a great choice. Musical tastes are mostly jazz, classical, some electronic downtempo, some rock. Speakers are Von Schweikert VR4 jr, which to my ears, are a bit on the warm side, which is fine. I hate thin/bright sounding gear.

Any opinions on the Cayin vs. the more powerful Mac, mostly related to sonics? For that matter, how good is the Cayin? Sound great in my system, but like I said, I really don't have a bunch of stuff to compare to.
chiho

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Check my answers/threads as I have the 88, and 100 and did an in system compare to the 275 and wrote about my findings. For me, Cayin ruled. However, I sense you have Mac fever and the only know cure is to buy the Mac and then sell off the loser. Enjoy the music.