CAT Preamps vs Amps

I'm a proud owner of a CAT JL2 amplifier. Most of the threads on Audigon say great things about CAT's amps JL 1-3. People laud over the musicality, transparency and dynamics of these amps. However, when it comes to the preamps (Signature and Ultimate versions), it seems like the reviews are a mixed bag. In many cases, some CAT amp owners use other preamps.

Therefore, are the current CAT preamps (Ultimate) as good as their amps in terms of musicality, transparency and
dynamics? Are they on par? If not where do they fall short compared to the amps? What are better matches?
aoliviero

Showing 3 responses by strapper211

Hi,the legend will be out in a few months so hold tight.Ken says it is a real killer and will complement his amps,and the combination should be Nirvana.
I own a pair of CAT jl3 sigs and have tried the conrad johnson art2,asthetix,nagra,pass and levinson and the CAT is the best match by far for these amps.the speakers I am using are the eidolon Diamonds.It just sounds more lifelike and natural.Hope this helps.
Hi,let me clarify myself a bit.I thought the conrad Johnson,pass and levinson were terrible with the CAT amps,If I were forced to buy a pre with phono because Cat went out of buisness it would be the asthetix.It soundstaged better but missed on the dynamic slam and body of the music like the Cat captures,very easy to listen to.My second choice would be the Nagra,that has wild dynamics but a little thin and to much in your face,great for rock music but overall a bit tiring after a short time.
All my opinions are with vinyl,I do listen to cds.My front end is Basis debut MKv/graham phatom/koetsu diamond platinum.