CAT JL-3 Sig Mk2s direct from Wadia 781i?

I have this combo in mind, taken delivery of the Wadia; its now at GNSC for the Statement mods. Speakers will be the Wilson Sasha.

What do you guys think of this set-up without preamp? If I need one which should I consider?

I need one with a remote, so that rules out CAT preamps instantly. My music tastes are run the whole range, but mostly would like good bass for rock and nice vocals. Good percussive attack and decay with 'air' is also important.

Ideas appreciated and thanks are given in advance!
daisiu

Showing 2 responses by daisiu

Mtdking,

What were the benefits of using a preamp?

Other responders:

On my checklist would be: VAC renaissance MkIII, ARC's new Ref5, or the VTL 6.5 or Nagra PL-L. All would be circa 10k new. The Ref5 should be an improved Ref3 I gather.

Based on the system above, what do you think would be the best all-rounder? Auditions are not available to me...

Thanks again!
Jafox,

Thanks for such an informative and insightful reply, its the kind which makes A'gon the best source for exchange of knowledge on these matters.

Unfortunately I come from a small country where home auditions do not exist, and even store auditions are nigh on impossible unless I fly 3 hours and still, the context of an audition is a store with different associated equipment, rendering comparisons out-of-context. Thats why I'm trying to get a general direction, at least, where I could at least have a higher chance of reaching sonic bliss.

Coming back to specifics, it would seem that your opinion is that preamps with lushness and warmth such as BAT, Lamm or maybe C-j would work best? What were the very special signal tubes that you changed? Could you provide some examples of preamps I should try to listen to, maybe?

Many many thanks again to you, Jafox.