Cassettes still rock!

Played Dire Straits debut album last night - from a Maxell XL 2s cassette recorded from the vinyl over 30 years ago. Best sound I've heard on my system in months. I have the SACD, but doesn't have the organic sound from the tape/vinyl. Dig out your old cassettes! 
mcondo
I would disagree if I could. It also helps to have inserted a Perfect Path Card inside the cassette player case and to color the cassettes. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, “coloring cassettes, are you out of mind?” 🤪
OP here. Lots of support and some naysayers on cassettes. FYI - the LP was recorded on my Nak 500 Dual tracer (still have but pretty worn out) and played back on a newer (!) NAK BX 2. 

glupson,

I ran into one at the Goodwill store in the U.S.A. for, I think, $20. I bought it just so I can say I owned a Nakamichi at some point in my life, also not forseeing using it more than an hour or two. It is, in fact, sweet little player. I rarely use it, but it always makes me smile.

That was a heck of a deal. And yes, it is a pretty good basic deck.

I do believe cassette tapes *can* rival *some* vinyl. Can, but not always. In fact, in my short re-experiance, rarely in a couple cases where I have copies of both. As in everything, it depends on many many things. The quality of the the mastering by the label for its release being the most important things (for non at home recordings) for cassette format, IMO. But, depending on the pressing, that is true for versions of a vinyl album too, and yes, CD’s can have the same issue.

Of all my tapes, a couple that particularly stick out to me are The Modern Jazz Quartet’s - No Sun in Venice & Concorde, Wayne Shorter - Best of Wayne Shorter, Billie Holiday - All or Nothing at All, Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out...and there are many others. These are mentioned off the top of my head.

I purchased quite a few jazz albums on cassette prior to, or right around the time CD’s first came out. And those are the ones I am most pleased to have ’back’ in rotation.

Yes, I could replace all of these, and many more, on vinyl or CD, and have/did in some cases, but there really is no need to do so with many cassetes back in my collection, and recordings that still please me.