Cassette Deck Repair

I have a Yamaha TC520 in near mint cosmetic condition but it's not working. The mechanism will not fully engage at all times when I try to play a tape. In other words the levers don't depress fully. When I do get some sound it's from one channel only and a bit distorted.   I was interested in taking it to a repair shop in the S.F. Bay Area after I had read reviews on how many people were raving about their vintage gear sounding better than ever after servicing from this shop. When I called he told me he doesn't work on Cassette Decks, too difficult. I was frankly kind of shocked.  I know of another repair shop that is much closer to me but I have some issues with the guy and his over all skills.  Any suggestions? Is it worth fixing? I would utilize it as background music while working on hobbies. Thanks in advance.  
zar
Call Norman @ Sertech Electronics in San Jose. I've had a few cassette decks refurbished by him. He's good.

Roger Modjeski of Music Reference/RAM Tubes (Tube Audio Store) can fix it. He has worked on many different decks including Nakamichi. The shop is in East Bay in San Pablo. The question you need to answer is whether it is worth fixing. In my opinion if you are using it for background music probably not based on the prices I see on eBay for this deck. I can tell you it will cost a minimum of $95 for Roger to look at it. If it needs work it goes up from there.
Imho, it’s not worth the cost of repair unless it’s a great 3-head deck, e.g. Nakamichi, Tandberg or Revox.  I just hope my Dragon (rebuilt by Hermann, he’s the best!) outlasts me.
Thanks to all who responded and I am contemplating both sides, fix or dump.  Jond, thanks for that link as I am in the 925 area code. San Jose is a bit of a drive but i will consider it if it comes to that. Thanks again.
Willy usually doesn't service non Nakamichi. You could check with him but I really doubt.