CARY SLP 308 & Audio Research SP-16

I recently acquired an AudioResearch VS110 driving B&W Signature 805s. I'm looking for a pre-amp at $2000-3000 new or used. I heard an SLP 308 at upscale audio driving the V12 and Avantgrade speakers delivering wonderfully transparent & delicate sound. Others have suggested the matching SP16. I've talked with folks from AR and highly rec. the SP16. "only give up slight dynamics and bass response comparing to LS 25." Absolute sound had said that the treble of the SP16 had a slight grain in isolation.
I'll listen to it but meanwhile,
Any help is appreciated. THanks.
128x128glai

Showing 1 response by weiserb

I own the SP16 with Phono and there is no grain or harshness. AS review is nonsense. The SP 16 has a lot of great features... Super Phono. Great full smooth sound with deep soundstage, Remote , mute, Volume still works in mute mode. very handy when listening at loud levels so you can turn it down before you un mute. Only minor issue is that volume steps at lowest level seems to jump a little fast. And you have to toggle through all inputs. you can not go directly to the one you may want. But that stuff is trivial. What matters most is the sound and this piece has got the right sound. This piece like all ARC stuff is beautifully made to last decades and ARC is a super company to call for service or questions. They even sent me a brochure for my CD2 (discontinued model) Which is also a super very musical piece. I believe that they still service every Piece that they have ever made! I also have a VT60SE in a different system with an LS7 and those are also Great !