Cary SLI 80 with B&W 703 will it be a good match?

Looking to add a tube-based integrated to my setup. I already own a pair of B&W 703's and really like them, my only grip is that they aren't exactly an easy load for most amplifiers.

I haven't found much info about their impedance curve but what I did find is this (ultimateavmag):

- Minimum impedance is 2.8ohms at 100Hz.
- Impedance remains below 4ohms from about 79Hz to 400Hz
- I would conservatively rate its nominal impedance at 4ohms.
- The 703's sensitivity measured about 88dB/2.83V/m

My source is a squeezebox v3, I don't listen to music at very loud levels. The output is typically 80-85dB (or less), I still want there to be sufficient bass at that output level though (ideally it shouldn't add or take away anything bass-wise).
g_georgi

Showing 1 response by cruz123

As a owner of the SLI-80 I would be hesitant to recommend it with your speakers. It will drive them, but at 88db/4ohms its not an optimal pairing. Most like the Cary best in its 40 watt triode mode and my guess you would need to run the Cary in the 80 watt UL mode as opposed to triode. My speakers (tyler monitors) are approximately the same effeciency as yours, but 8 ohm and I find the 80 watt UL settin works best. To drive the Tylers to 80-85db levels (which is pretty darn loud in my opinion!) I would have to run the volume level at 12 o'clock on most music. I have been very happy with the Cary, but my next move will be to more tube friendly speakers. Hope this helps.