Cary CD-500 vrs used Esoteric X-05

I've read one review on the Cary CD-500 player from Postive Feedback, Robert Levi. He stated that the Cary is much more realistic and musical than any of the mass produced Japanese brands. Wonder if that included the Esoteric X-05.
He also stated that you would have to buy the solid state Ayre DX-5 to better the performance. Impressive..I'm really interested in a non tube unit...
Any Audiogon members listen to either units. I own no SACD discs. Thanks. All the best...
exocet954

Showing 1 response by xenaudio

I heard the 500 and thought it was one of the better sounding players for the money. Also, I like the idea of getting something made in the US, england, Canada ect. I've always felt that there is just something missing from the Asian products. That said, I am biased towards Ayre products. Theres nothing quite like them. If I were you, I would listen to some of these products first, but for me, I like the 7 series Ayre for CD only. It has a rightness to it that the 5 doesn't lack, but it is just a little off; and it costs half the price. You can easily make it your last CD player.