Cary cad120s running 4 ohm speakers?

Hi everyone I was wondering if some one uses or experimented with speakers that are a 4 ohm load. With the cary 120s amp?

I am currently looking at Totem Acoustic Element Metals which are a 4 ohm load but are 91db efficient.

I was originally looking at the Totem Element Earths which are 88db efficient and an 8 ohm load. But hearing how loud the metals being played with a triode corp 30watt 6ohm ultra liner amp. Can not imagine the juice pumped out by my 60 watt triode cary tube amp could run these, or even in ultra liner mode.

So my biggest question is anyone running the cad 120s on a 4ohm speaker load?
128x128jakecanada

Showing 2 responses by jerroot

Agree with Polk432, you should not have any problems. For two years I ran my Totem Mani-2's with a Cary CAD-120S Mkii, and they are significantly less efficient the the Elements. If your pre is not of a significantly higher gain like Polk's you might consider having Cary upgrade your 120 to the Mkii. Have fun. Beautiful amp that CAD-120.
Brf-
In my experience, I can wholeheartedly agree with you up to a point. I auditioned five amps, none of which could drive them well enough. I almost gave up on them before I settled in with the Cary, although bottom end was still a little bit looser than I prefer. Two years later I switched to Rogue Audio M-180's with KT120's everything fell into place, and I haven't looked back. So, yes, I found the Mani-2's very difficult to drive with tubes, but not impossible.