CARY CAD120s clipping?

Have just bought a cary Cad 120s tube amp and useing my dads old luxman solid state preamp till have enough money for a cary slp-98p preamp. Not really the ideal match, but will have to do for now.

My question is dose anyone had experience with the cad 120s from cary and when dose the amp start into clipping?

What position on the volume knob dose it start clipping?

And if the bias meters in the front go past the 200 gauge dose while playing loud dose this mean it's in clipping mode?

If anyone owns a cary slp-98p and the cary cad120s as there setup it would be really appreciated let me know your experiences."

Thanks you guys.
128x128jakecanada

Showing 2 responses by jakecanada

Thanks you guys for your thoughts and advice. I do have a question for Polk432 though

-what are the wattage guidelines and efficacy of your speakers?
-And What phono cart ridge are you using with the cary slp-98p

I have totem forests that are rated for 50watts to 200watts with 87db efficiency into a 8ohm load. So I think the 60watt triode is a way better choice then my old Cary sli-80 at 40watts triode.

Though I think my dads old Solid state preamp has more gian problems before 11 0"cock zone then my last amp the sli-80. Also it might be to quick and fast pace since solid state. But I think this is why people go with tube preamp and solid sat for my tube power amp, not the other way around.

then my last amp the sli-80. The luxman makes the bass to boomy almost popping likein my bedroom or defiantly need a living room for this setup. But I think this is why people go with tube preamp and solid sat
Well I believe in the quality of each watt over power of more watts.
I personally have talked to Vince owner of totem acoustics believed in same thing in fact he has a brother running the metals with a 20watt triode amp. He thought even 40 watts would be more then enough power a great match for the forest, since being the designer of them.

That is why I bought the cary for triode mode. See my dad grew me up on on an old Luxman 50watt Single ended triode amp with totem staffs nothing sounded so sweet. Which my cary set up sounds and reminds me of.

Though in triode mode the cad 120 can drive the forest in "any" size room. Ultra Liner is extremely nice when playing any source manly vinyl ! But I rather prefer and play in triode

The cary sli-80 drove the forests shockinling well in triode it filled my dads 1500 sqaure foot living room while using my DAC and cd player . Though I wanted more power to fill the same room with vinyl which the sli-80 lacked in triode then all other sources.
Also I did not want to spend $3800 on the cary phono preamp when most pre amps have a phono preamp built into the preamp now days for that same cost.

The CAD 120 works marvels in phono on my dads luxman preamp.
All I am really wondering is a old solid state preamp not a good match for the 120s.
Thats why I am planing on purchasing the slp-98 it should be the best choice than my dads preamp for now.

I am currently looking at a F1 slp-98p preamp new from a dealer in the States. I won't say the dealers name. He has the moving coil version and Moving magnet one so debating which one to get?

Thanks for your input on the slp-98p that really narrows down the to the per amp I need.