Cary Audio Cad 805 AE tube rolling

Hello;

Anyone have any experience with tube rolling on the Cary CAD 805 AE?
The best 211 I tried Amperex vt4c brass base.
Best 6sn7gt I tried mullard ecc33 as input tube and fivre 6sn7 black plate ('50 years) as driver tube. Sylvania 6sn7w metal base , tungsol RP and RCA 5692 red base were disappointing!
Standard 300b (cary audio) is ok but 300B wesatern electric ('90 years)is awesome....

Thanks, Michele
micheler

Showing 3 responses by casouza

Hi Micheler, I suggest that you ask Cary. I assume that the switch changes bias accordingly, but one can never be too cautious.
Michele, you may want to read this thread about the latest 300B:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1240592110

I see that you did not like three slightly bright 6SN7 variants.
You may want to try Sylvania JAN 6SN7WGTA brown base as driver tubes, they sound very smooth and organic.

Fivre tubes were made in Italy under license from RCA, so I believe you will also like early grey glass, black plate 6SN7GT tubes made by RCA in the 40s. These are also available as ex-military stock JAN VT-231

I have no experience with 211 type tubes, but I believe your amp can use 845. The 845 is a more linear tube than 211. Ask Cary. If the switch is doable, you will not regret it.
good luck
Michele, thanks for sharing your tube-rolling experience.
If I understand you question correctly, yes, tube amps must be used with a specific output tube to sound their best, however, the switch that Carry provides probably changes a few electrical parameters to make the amp compatible with 211 AND 845.