Cary 306/200 CD Player vs VPI Scout

So, I'm selling my current digital source. In its place, I'm considering either the Cary 306/200 CD Player or a VPI Scout with JMW9 Sig., Grado Ref Sonata II and AES PH-1.

My amp is a CARY 300SEI and I have AKG K-1000 cans.

My question is: Will the analog setup compare to the Cary in terms of fidelity? Also, could you compare with regards to frequency extremes; high and low??

I listen mostly to acoustic music; Jazz primarily.

thanx much!!

thanx much.
pawlowski6132

Showing 1 response by steveaudio

As someone who's owned both a Rega P25, & a Cary 303-200 for years, I think it's such an "apples to oranges" comparison it's almost impossible to get a definitive answer (like "SS vs. tubes"). It's great if you can own both. I could live w/o vinyl (for awhile) if I had to, but not CD &/or SACD. Also, like you say, by the time you add a cartridge, phono stage (& don't forget a good record cleaning machine like a VPI), it can be complicated & expensive to get into vinyl.

I'm really happy with my P25 with a Benz Glider. It took me a long time to pick up a nice used phono stage (CJ-EF1) at a great price. In the same system, I'd say my Cary CDP beats it out on most recordings. And my Sony DVP 9000-ES is terrific on SACDs & DAD's, probably better than either CD or vinyl.

But then, nothing "sounds like" vinyl. Tho IMO CD's are a lot more consistant, & way easier to deal with.