Cary 306/200 CD Player vs VPI Scout

So, I'm selling my current digital source. In its place, I'm considering either the Cary 306/200 CD Player or a VPI Scout with JMW9 Sig., Grado Ref Sonata II and AES PH-1.

My amp is a CARY 300SEI and I have AKG K-1000 cans.

My question is: Will the analog setup compare to the Cary in terms of fidelity? Also, could you compare with regards to frequency extremes; high and low??

I listen mostly to acoustic music; Jazz primarily.

thanx much!!

thanx much.
pawlowski6132

Showing 1 response by goatwuss

Hi Pawlowski6132,

Undoubtably, the VPI with the right cartridge, phono, and good records will sound much better than than the Cary. Of course you will need to do all the maintainence, and a vacuum record cleaner is a necessity. The CD vs vinyl debate is futile, but most experienced audiophiles do agree that all in all, vinyl is the superior medium in terms of communicating the essense and emotion in music.

With that being said, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy either of those. I would buy something like a Jolida JD100 as well as a Rega p3/P25 or something. In other words, I'd much rather have a very good CDP AND a very good TT instead of only an excellent CDP or only an excellent TT. That way you can take the time to come up to your own conclusions on the superiority of vinyl, grow your music collection in both formats, and derive the most enjoyment because you won't be locked in to one format or the other.