Cary 303 CD - Very Detailed - Fixes?

I just bought a Cary 303 CD and it is more detailed than I expected. It is providing me with highs that are a little too much for me, feels a little out of balane or overpowering the mids and lows. I have a Mesa Tigris integrated push/pull tube amp and a pair of Elac Griffin speakers which are also detailed. However, I am going to upgrad my speakers soon - considering the Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods. What would you recommend that I do (cables, interconnects, speakers) to pull back some of this detail?
jcidulka

Showing 3 responses by jay_carlson

Radni, mine too. I assume that's the case with all of them, but I'm not sure. can't complain though, great sound for the $$.
me too- I'm almost there! Cary 303, Pro silway II, Cary sli80, and Meadowlark Shearwaters. (also Coincident PC's). mmmmm, the final bit will be either HT Pro9's or Coincident speaker cables. My system is definitely not too bright, it's just right :) Jay
Hi, I have H.R. Shearwaters and a Cary integrated sli80. The combination is wonderful. I would advise that you wait til you get the Shearwaters, then you've gotta let them break in for a LONG time, like 300-500 hours. But it's worth it. The highs IMO, will be Very smooth and natural. Also, I've noticed quite a difference with other tubes. When I replaced my Sovtek6922's with some Tungsrams, and got some Raytheon 6SN7's, the highs "went farther up", but were smoother. You're making a great choice with the Meadowlarks. You will have an incredible system, probably similar to mine, although I need a good CDP or DAC as the final upgrade- presently I'm using a Marantz cd63, my plan is to get a Bel Canto DAC 1. (The Cary is too$$ for me at this point). Enjoy