Cary 303 CD - Very Detailed - Fixes?

I just bought a Cary 303 CD and it is more detailed than I expected. It is providing me with highs that are a little too much for me, feels a little out of balane or overpowering the mids and lows. I have a Mesa Tigris integrated push/pull tube amp and a pair of Elac Griffin speakers which are also detailed. However, I am going to upgrad my speakers soon - considering the Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods. What would you recommend that I do (cables, interconnects, speakers) to pull back some of this detail?
jcidulka

Showing 1 response by dekay

Try some cheap/free temporary fixes if it is realy driving you crazy right now. You could attempt to tune (or detune) the CD player by experimenting with different isolators. If you are using cones, don't. Try resting the player on different materials laying around the house. It could be a tea towel, mouse pads a mailing envelope etc. You get the idea. Isolation teqniques work both ways. You may also grow to like the additional detail in time. "It is new and therefore we must fear it" is my usual first reaction to a drastic change in sound. I am not audiophile and tend to look for quick easy and sometimes temporary solutions to audio problems. So, please take my advice with a grain of salt. If it seems reasonable though, what's it going to cost to try?