Cary 303/300 or Musical Fidelity A5 with Mac gear?

Looking to upgrade from my Arcam cd player. Looking for a better source to match my Mac MC-207 and C-2200. The Arcam is ok but it isn't the smoothest or the fullest sounding player out there. Does have good detail though. Looking for some insight from other Audiogon members. Have borrowed a Mac MCD-201 and like it. It is better that the Arcam but its fuctions are alittle odd. Went looking for an Ayre CX7e but was told that Ayre isn't producing them currently and will not take orders for any (by my local dealer). I am open minded too, for other options, but top loaders will not work in my system. Any thoughts?? Would like to keep it at or under 4k too. Thanks!
hawkeye43

Showing 2 responses by steidlguitars

Hawkeye, I happen to have both the A5 and 303/300 right now, and honestly, I would be happy with either player.

The Cary has the edge in resolution and extension; the A5 provides a bit more cohesive musical picture (if you have any idea of what that might mean!). Both are well built, nice pieces.

If you're obsessive compulsive, know that the Cary has enough flexibility to drive you crazy. Both tube and SS outputs and 5 levels of upsampling that work with both sides. I am a tube guy and am surprised that so far I like the SS side best (hate to admit that!), though I have a few pairs of NOS tubes coming so we'll see how those go. The A5 has no options, which can be a plus.

Good luck.
Bob
I didn't like the A5 amp very much but I do like the A5 CDP.

Buying a DAC could certainly be a smart choice, especially if you wanted to try PC-based audio at some point where it would be offer some flexibility. I have a Paradisea that I use in my bedroom set-up.

Like CDPs, different flavors of DAC appeal to different tastes, so no simple decision there either!