Cary 300SEI vs Art Audio PX-25

Currently have the Cary. Considering the AA. I'm driving a pair of AKG K1000 headphones ONLY now. Worth the change? Nothing wrong with Cary just looking for different experience. Just didn't want to fidelity for new experience. Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanx
pawlowski6132

Showing 2 responses by bblilikoi

This is exactly the choice I'm making right now, although I'm planning on matching whatever SET amp with a pair of Cain & Cain Super Abbys. I have an SLI-80 that I love and have preferred the lush, warm sound for most things, but have also tube-rolled the input (Siemens & Halske) and driver tubes (Sylvania 6SN7GTA and GTs, Tung-Sol roundplate) to create a more resolving sound, which works well with some choral and orchestral music I listen to (mainly, I listen to Renaissance choral, symphonic orchestral, and Romantic Italian opera).

Can anyone characterize the differences in these two SET amps and what their relative flexibilities might be re tube-rolling? I know the AA PX-25 uses KR output 300Bs, but I don't know how much the other tubes affect the sound. And I plan on using Western Electric 300B tubes with a Cary 300 SEI, if that becomes the choice. I assume I can play with the 6SN7 tubes it takes?

Finally, I have a Cary 303/300 which I understand can work very well with the AA PX-25 (becasue the 303/300 produces up to 3 v output via the RCA connections, it's feasible for the player to drive a power amp directly--the AA PX-25 has a .7v input sensitivity).

Can anyone elaborate on your assessment and knowledge of the differences between these two amps?
Yes, of course, Audiofeil, you are correct. It was a slip on my part. I realize the AA PX-25 has KR PX-25 tubes and not 300B! But it needed to be corrected, for which I thank you.