Carver Crimson 275 tube amp

I have searched for owners' impressions of this amp, but have found none.  I have never owned a Carver component, but have always admired his genius.  I would like to pair a tube amp with my Spatial Audio M3 Triode Masters and recently heard Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 amp, along his bespoke preamp, and was extremely impressed.  Compared to my Platinum-upgraded McCormack DNA .05 ss amp, the sound was even more fleshed out and 3-dimensional.  The SQ difference was far from subtle... and I loved it.   

I was clear with Jim Clark when I ordered the amp that the comparison of the Crimson 275 would be to the Kootenay so if I don't think it is the equal of it, I will return it.  Stay tuned for my listening impressions in a couple of weeks.  
whitestix

Showing 3 responses by mrdecibel

Jim Clark, there is another recent thread started by d2girls, reading : " Tube Amp for JBL 4367 ". Could you post the same there, as it would be helpful. Thx, Enjoy ! MrD.
The biasing is explained in the owners manual ( can be found on d2girls thread ) A tube amp for my JBL 4367s.
Actually, I am not sure why I am surprised at the lightweight transformers he is using in the amp. I still have in my possession, a Carver MCT moving coil transformer that he sold and priced at $ 149. at the time ( it might have been $ 129. ). It was better than my M.A. Cotter, my Denon, and several other mc transformers and head amps I owned ( I owned many and heard many ). I, too, sold, and owned Carver gear ( I recently sold a Yamaha B6 amp, yes the Darth Vader unit, using his design.  ). As an aside, It is my understanding Yamaha stole the design, without permission or an agreement with Carver, which is why it did was not available for very long. I should have kept it, just to have, but I was made an offer I could not refuse. I had his earlier Phase Linear gear, and always respected it and never had a problem with any of it, although some people called it Flame Linear ( pros, mostly ). I do believe Bob Carver is as brilliant as they come, and it might just be a perfect match for my modified / tweaked Lascalas. When I was " in the field ", I was sent many loaners of audio products to experience, some even before the actual release date, without exchange of money. I am tempted to contact Bob, and reintroduce myself, to get a loaner. This is how good this amplifier seems to be. Enjoy ! MrD.