Cartridges that get strings right?

The more I listen to live performances the more I’m struck at how difficult it is for home audio to get strings right, both solo and massed. The violin, in particular, can be biting and warm at the same time. Any cartridges that are notably good performers? 
pingvin

Showing 3 responses by br3098

I agree with (almost) everything already said here.  IMO speakers are the single component most critical to whatever sound you are trying to achieve.  No other single component will make as much as a difference to your systems sound.

Other components will "dial in" the sound, some more and some less, but if your speakers aren't getting you close to what you are looking to hear then you are not going to hit the mark.  A change of cartridge will not overcome a speaker/room/amp compatibility mismatch.
Did you try the Colibri or the A90/95 ?
Colibri - no, as far as I remember.

A90/95 - several.  I used to sell them and bought one at a promo price.  The A95 is a very good cartridge but IMO it doesn't come close to the detail and impact provided by the London Decca Reference cartridge for large, complex music.

Different strokes, right?

In my system the London Decca Reference cartridge blows away everything else I have tried for orchestral music.  It's a fussy cartridge (but not as much as in the old days) that requires a good tonearm and phono stage match, as well as precise alignment.  But nothing sounds like this modern version of an audio dinosaur.

My second go to cartridge for classical are the Ortofon SPUs.  I particularly love the SPU Royal GM MkII and Synergy GM models.  If you can't do an SPU headshell you can try the SPU Royal N which is made for standard 1/2" cartridge mounting.