Cartridge Recommendation for Dual 1229

Cartridge recommendations for a Dual 1229?  

Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2

Showing 4 responses by normansizemore

My main table is a Dual 1229 with a Grace 747 tonearm. The  Dual stock tonearm is actually very good.  I love my Nagaoka MP 11 Boron, Denon 103R, I have several Audio Technica/Signet's that are equally wonderful. And yes, Zavato nailed an excellent choice in the Shure VI5 type III, type IV or V should work perfectly.  
Honestly, I really can't think of any cartridge that wouldn't work well in the stock Dual tonearm.  Get several extra drop out headshells and swapping cartridges is a breeze. If you need help maintaining it, let me know. I've rebuilt many.
N
Stevecham,

I sold my Pickering XSV 3000 a few years ago. Don't ever make that mistake. It a 'near' perfect cartridge and I am forever kicking myself. 

Headshrinker2, be sure to add either Pickering to the list. 

N

Stevecham,

For years I used only LOMC cartridges, then about 10 years ago I rediscovered what gems the MM's are from the golden age of analog. (Mid 70's for me).. The Pickering XVS series is incredible and gives up nothing. 
Hang on to yours, even if you swap it out every now and then.  I found mine had outstanding bass and a glorious midrange. 
N. 
Michael,

It isn't hard. I removed the automatic functions since I never used the auto start anyway and the used springs to tension the original start switch. 

Adding a nine inch arm is easy. It's an afternoons work at best. I use mine every day for well over a decade now. 

The 1219/1229 can be made into an incredibly good turntable. 
Email me and I will send you shots of mine and help anyway I can. 

I recommend you lube the motor while you have the table apart. I would also clean and grease the platter bearing and race. 

Email me at n at normansizemore dot com

N.