Cartridge for Thorens TD-160 also Phonoamp

Finally have all my HT equipment and currently blowing the dust of my analog stuff. My analog equip is as follows- Cary integrated amp, Stealth phono amp, TD-160 table and JM Lab Electra 926 Speakers. Need to to setup a new cartridge on my SME-3009 Tonearm. I listen to mostly alternative, jazz and classic rock(no head banging stuff).

I spun a record the other day and it sounded pretty good through the my old Stealth phono amp but then I have'nt spun an album in years so may not know what im missing.

Would someone please suggest a cartidge($200 range) and possibly some phonoamps ($1000 max). I have always bought used off the Gon and never been disappointed.

Thank you!
128x128freddy50

Showing 1 response by beatlebum

I have the following Thorens combinations and can highly recommend the following carts:

TD 125 Mk. 1 with SME 3009 Series II (early) - Ortofon 2M Blue

TD 125 Mk.1 with SME 3009 Series II Improved - Audio Technica AT150Ti

TD 160 with TP16 arm and TP60 headshell - Benz Micro MC20E2

All of the above carts are in the $150 to $250 range new/used.

The Cambridge 640P is a fine budget phonostage to start with, the Rogue Audio Stealth a nice $700-$800 choice and the Graham Slee Era Gold Mk.V is really nice around $1000.

I've had all of the above and can recommend each. You might consider picking up a nice vintage receiver by Kenwood, Luxman, Tandberg and/or McIntosh. Some of the top of the line models by these mfrs. have really fine phonostages and you can get a killer tuner as well.

Good luck!