Cartridge for Technics SL-1200GAE

Just purchased a GAE and looking for cartridge recommendations that are a good match for the tonearm and have a musical character. I’m not a detail freak but tone and pace, rhythm, and timing are important (I don’t want pleasant sounding but doesn’t hold your attention). I’m looking under $1000 and can be MM or MC. Hoping to get responses from users with experience. Was thinking Hana EL based on reviews but would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
schw06

Showing 1 response by fastdart69

I made three changes to my system at the same time.  I replaced (but kept) a Technics SL-1210 M5G and Ortofon 2M black with the new SL1200 GAE.  In addition, I acquired a Lyra Delos cartridge for this set-up.  I also purchased a Okki Nokki record cleaner.  Before playing any of my vintage record collection I cleaned them with the Okki Nokki.  The rest of my system is pretty conventional and unchanged.  McIntosh 501 mono blocs, Parasound JC2 preamp, Nova Phonomonem II phono preamp and Lagacy Focus SE speakers.

I have to believe that all three changes contributed to the improvement in clarity, imaging, soundstage, etc.. But this combination of turntable and cartridge is, in a word, phenomenal.  I feel like a veil has been removed from the music.  I loved my record collection before but now it is like listening to new music again.  The only downside is that I'm spending a lot of money on vintage LP's.  I'm tremendously enjoying this set-up!