Cartridge for RB300 other things

i just purchased a used planar 3 w/rb300 arm(no mods) and would like some opinions about a suitable mm
cartridge (300-500 $'s). i currrently have an ortophon om30 and it's ok (a bit bright). also i'd like to replace the felt mat with either a ring-mat or audioquest sorbogel mat-what are the merits if any with either one of these and how can i adjust the vta for the mat & or cartridge. also if some one could pass along any other tweaks
that would improve this tt-thanks
vellum

Showing 1 response by jayboard

Dynavector 10x40 II works fine for me on my Planar 3 with OL-modified RB250 arm. Needed a spacer to give a neutral VTA, but like David with his Grado, I prefer no spacer and a slight negative VTA. I see that the Ring-Mat people now offer a package, as expensive as it is ingenious, that includes platter-sized shims for convenient and precise VTA adjustment; the shims are supposed to reduce resonance, also. Good to have cautionary feedback on Ring-Mat from David; you'll find mixed reviews on AudioReview, also. At the risk of giving advice that wasn't asked for, I'd not monkey with mat changes until the major issue of cartridge change is settled and you're thoroughly familiar with the new sound. You asked about other tweaks: More than a tweak, I guess, but I will spend my next Planar 3 dollars on a DC motor upgrade.