Cartridge for my Rega RP6

Hi folks,

I have a Rega RP6 with the Exact 2.  I like the table, but am not fond of the cartridge, as I don't feel that is reveals enough of what's on the record.

I have what I consider to be a pretty nice front end; Conrard Johnson LP260MSE monoblocks (with 8 KT120's each) and a Conrad Johnson ET5 preamplifier, with an upgraded 6922 tube.  I also have a Pass Labs (solid state) xp-15 phono stage.

I have heard the Rega RP10 with the Apheta 2, and like that sound quite a bit, particularly the simplicity of the operation/installation of the cartridge.

So, I am thinking about putting either the Apheta 2 or the Hana SL (which is a lot cheaper) on my RP6.  Has anybody heard both?  I would expect the Apheta2 (which retails for $1,800) to sound better than the Hana SL (which retails for $750), but rather than make assumptions, I thought I would ask-- who has heard both, and what are your thoughts; price vs. performance?  I know it's a subjective thing, but will the Hana provide 90% of the attributes of the Apheta2?  50%?  Just looking for some insight here.

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide.

Ag insider logo xs@2xliamowen
I had a Rega RP6 and used a Soundsmith Bohemme with excellent results. I still use it on my Well Tempered Labs Amadeus Mk. II. The Soundsmith Carmen 2 is also a good choice.
The Pass XP-15 a superb phono preamp that will handle a variety of cartridges including LOMC.  I have never listened to the Apheta2 but you have listened to it before. It will be an easy cartridge to mount on your arm unless you want to learn how to align cartridges (which is fun but requires more gear).  Based on what I have listened to on Rega and Audiomods arms, I would recommend a Lyra Delos.  Its just so good at everything. 

-Karl
Dear @liamowen: The Rega cartridge design was voiced with Rega TT/tonearms so could be the best choice for you, additional you like what you listened with.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
@liamowen - I have the Denon 103 with a ruby cantilever and OC Line contact stylus tweak from Soundsmith
- setup is finicky, but when you get it right it is superb
- cost was around $600
- performs way above it's price point

The 103 R is also very popular

I purchased the modified 103 cartridge from Soundsmith
- they may not have any more in stock though :-(

You could try one of Soundsmith’s own carts, also very good

The 103(r) will play pretty much any type of music competently - I like pretty much anything, but to get this cartridge really rockin’ I play pipe organ music - simply amazing :-)

You may need a shim to bulk the cart’ up a bit, but that’s and easy/cheap tweak. - or have Soundsmith install the cart in one of their wood headshells for even better performance.

My arm is from Audiomods, which uses a Rega Arm tube - so it should be a pretty good match for your Rega TT

Just a thought - Steve :-)