Cartridge for Empire 698 turntable

I just acquired an Empire 698 turntable in great condition. Would appreciate suggestions as to the cartridge that would best fit this table. Please keep it under $500. Thank you in advance.
hurricane
I second your doubts, Dopogue. Plus, the Ortofon 2M Red only mounts from the top so it will not work with the 698 headshell anyway as it only accepts cartridges that mount from the bottom.

Sharpshooters should get the facts straight before pulling the trigger on such posts ;).

Dave
Hah you might not know that there's a detachable plastic portion of headshell on the original arm. Once you detach you can mount ANY cartridge. Hope your doubts and illiteracy are cleared.
Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. I'll definitety want to try the Empire 4000, just a matter of finding an NOS one!
Hurricane,

I feel certain that you will be impressed with the 4000D on your 698. Good luck with your search for one. It is worth it.

Czarivey - I have owned a 698 (with an Empire 4000DIII mounted) for years, so I am quite aware that is has a removable headshell. I am also aware, despite my illiteracy, that the headshell has a Lexan fingerlift permanently attached to the top that makes it impossible to mount a cartridge from the top.

Dave