Cartridge, Compliance, try what in my JVC UA-7082 Arm?

So, what to try in my new JVC UA-7082 Tonearm when it comes? (effective length 282mm) (11-1/8")

Guidelines? Advice? (I never bothered learning about compliance, I guess now's the time).

Anyone know the Mass of the UA-7082 Tonearm without a cartridge _______?

Self Imposed Restrictions:

High Output, 4.0mV or more (to avoid tube preamp hum zone until it's repaired).

MM Only. (I am fundamentally opposed to MC pre-pre amp, as well as needing high output).

Motley Crew On Hand:

4 headshells, none special

Shure MicroRidge Stylus and V15VxMR Cartridge

Shure V15VMR Cartridge (no stylus, I gave it a dirty look and it broke, horribly brittle shaft)

Shure 97xe Elliptical Stylus and Cartridge (despite it's low pedigree it's my current favorite).

Shure N78S Stylus (fits 97xe) (I did not inherit the 78's someone threatened me with).

Shure M44E Stylus and Cartridge

Audio Technica MicroLine AT440ML OOC Stylus and Cartridge

Audio Technica AT7000 body, no stylus

Audio Technica ATP-2

Audio Technica Series VIII P mount 

Audio Technica ___? Came with the AT120 TT (tracks 2.5g, I never used it) 

It's a busy time, it doesn't get here till mid Jan, so theirs time to research.

Thanks in advance, Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr
whatever the compliance's are, two new to me tonearms working with my MM cartridges. 

Acos Lustre GST-801 9" Arm using Shure V15VxMR body with new Jico SAS/Boron shaft, with Jico Brush. (btw, Jico told me their brush is just a brush, not dynamic dampening nor static removal like Shure's brush is).

JVC Victor UA-7082 11-1/8" long arm with new Grado ME+ Mono Cartridge, Elliptical stylus.

Haven't played test records, but they both sound great.

both arms lifters not working.

7082: UPS broke the small curved arm that actually lifts the tonearm. The center post moves it a little bit only, but it is too far below the arm.

How do you adjust the height of the 7082's lifter's arm? (to get/start close to the tonearm).

GST-801 nothing lifts when lever is raised. I know how to loosen the set screw to raise/lower the lifter cylinder to get it close to the tonearm, but then there is no lift of the center shaft.

All Z-1 bodies are the same. There is a Z-1, Z-1S, Z-1E, Z-1EB, Z-4 which is also a Z-1 and a few others.

This is a wrong information: all the cartridges Z1 are different. I have Z1, Freq. Response 10Hz - 50kHz (close to X1); Z1 EB (Elliptical Beryllium), 10Hz - 35kHz; and Z1 S (with S) was the cheapest option even with spherical stylus.

You can find recordings of the Z1 sound (with Jico SAS) and X1 IIE in Ytube (Porco Stereo channel), just like an idea.

Why bother with these grommet failing Victor ua-7045 and even heavier ua-7082 .. only to know that it will never be the same as designed by Victor engineers even with all the repair done with unknown rubber specification of the grommet ? Sold at 30kyen max back in 80s and now at 2 to 3 times more. Alternatives of them without such critical grommet failures like those from Micro Seiko, Denon, Audio Technica etc. not a better choice ? Tks !

richard_crl032

I've installed two Micro Seiki 505s, 1 technics b-500 base/arm, and 1 Acos Lustre GST-801. All have easy VTA adjustment, but I would not adjust them while playing.

These JVC arms have ON THE FLY VTA, a big draw for perfectionists.

Maintain matching vintage appearance (they are cool looking), and use an existing tonearm hole after fix.

The composition difference between original rubber and replacement rubber is nearly irrelevant, it is the concept of isolation that was important, and simply get's restored.

OEM description in 1981:

"UA series universal tone arm with new gimbal support system.

The total length and effective length are different between UA-7082 and UA-7045.

The UA- 7082 and UA- 7045 are equipped with a helicoid height adjustment mechanism that can be adjusted during performance.

A virtual one point support structure is adopted for the bearing system, and strength and reliability superior to gimbal support are pursued.
In the virtual one point support structure, four precision radial ball bearings are arranged long distance from the virtual center point, so the force applied to each bearing and the rotation angle are equal for any rotation direction, and the same performance as the one point support can be obtained.
In addition, all bearings are fixed to the same part by micron precision machining using camera technology, ensuring high sensitivity and high durability.

A chucking lock type head connector is adopted, and looseness is eliminated by strongly tightening the shell plug part with the same principle as the drill chuck.

Uses a non-resonant head shell in which the shell body and plug part are integrally molded."

btw, the long 7082 is only 11-1/8" effective, one of the shortest long arms ever.