Cartridge and Phono advice for Classic 3

Im purchasing a VPI Classic 3 and have been trying to find the best MC cartridge and phono that i can get for it in my price range. The system I have is all tube and I would like to maintain that with the phono but am open to solid state components as well.
I am considering the lyra delos cartridge as well as the Fosgate Signature V2 phono...
Any suggestions or guidance?
The budget is max $5,000...right now I see it as about $2,000 for the cartridge and $3,000 for the phono but am open to any suggestions on a different distribution.
Thanks in advance for any help!
kpede683

Showing 1 response by zd542

I think you may be rushing into this. $5000 is a lot of money to spend on your first phono preamp and a cart.. There are big differences sonically between various analog components. What you are doing is no different than someone asking "I'm new to high end audio. Can someone recommend the best $5000 speaker". (I use the speaker example because it sounds like you know audio, just not vinyl.).

I think you need to do some listening, or possibly get a more entry level setup so you can figure out what you like and don't like, before you make a major commitment on components. There's no shortage of good equipment out there, but that doesn't mean you will like all of it. You may want to give The Cable Company a call. They should be able to send you out a bunch of stuff to try first so you don't end up making a big mistake.