Cart / Phono preamp for Technics SL-5200

Trying to put together a VERY budget analog rig. Would like to put no more than $200 total into a cart and phono pre for a 'table I just bought. Currently thinking AT-95E and the new Music Hall phono pre. I do not want a Bellari or Cambridge Audio pre. I previously had a Technics 1210 with a Ortofon OM5e running into my old NAD 3225PE's built-in phono(which I was pretty happy with). Any thoughts on how the AT/MH would compare? Amp is a Linn Classik, speakers are GMA Europas. Any thoughts or proven cart/phono pre combos for Technics or other tables would be appreciated.
clbone

Showing 1 response by ekobesky

I've owned a number of Technics tables, including the 1200, 1400Mk2 and some linear trackers.

The NAD PP2 is only $129 -- since you liked your old 3225 preamp, this seems like a natural choice.

NAD stuff tends to have a bit of a warm sonic signature, at least in my view. Audio-Technica cartridges tend to have a detailed treble. Meanwhile, Technics tables tend to be dark-sounding. So, if you decide to go this way, I would go for the A/T cartridge with the most extended treble in your price range. That would be the AT-120E/T. You can find it online for $80 if you shop around. It is a huge leap above the AT95E for only a few bucks more.

I have no idea why you don't want a Cambridge Audio pre as they are very good for the money and give you another way to achieve a good balance. The 540P is $99 and a weensy bit bright. Now you can use a less extended cartridge like the Ortofon OM5 or OM10.

If it were my money and I were in your predicament? Wait for a used Rotel RQ-970BX to come up for around $100. You need to spend $400 or $500 before you start seeing a big jump in performance compared with the Rotel. Then spring $99 for a new Ortofon 2M Red or the aforementioned Audio Technica AT-120E/T.

I reviewed the old Music Hall pre and I think that, combined with the AT-95E, would sound a bit rough.