Cart for Hitachi HT-550

Greetings all...

I've been lerking..and learning..for awhile now as I've been putting together a 2 channel set up after years away.

I still had my Hitachi HT-550 turntable that I bought new in 1980. Needed abit of work...a trip to the shop and a new cap. It seriously needs a new cartridge and hopefully you all can help me out and get me pointed and thinking in the right direction. Budget wise..like to keep it under 300 or so.

Here are the specs on it if that helps.

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/pict_mod/cat_items/113_232_tech1_hitachi_ht550_t1.jpg

My Setup as of today...

Amp...Jolida JD202 Intergrated Tube
Speakers....Paradigm Studio 60s v2
Cd.....Rotel RCD 1072
Cables...Audioquest right now. To be upgraded next.

Thanks alot.

Bill
bill_in_pdx

Showing 2 responses by bill_in_pdx

So much to learn..so little time

First of all I'm a newbie. One that picks up on things quickly..but still a newbie. One that doesnt have a infinite budget either, but realizes you get what you pay for at times as well.

I'm trying to digest the coorelation between gain and output. The 640 Cambridge specs for gain for a mc are 55db.
The Sumiko Blue point #2 Cartridege...moving coil.. output voltage is 2.5mv. From what I gathered that this is to much. That the gain factor would be around 74 with .5 sensitivity. The result would be a high level of hiss.

BTW...when I ran the numbers for the Grado blue..nice fit.

I realize my ears will tell..but I enjoy this part of all my hobbies. And it gives me a start.

Should I even be looking at MC cartridges vs MM's??

Bill