Capitol Audio Fest

Did anyone else attend Cap Audiofest this year? I've seen no threads about it, I was only able to attend Friday afternoon but heard some good systems. Favorites for me,  Shindo/Auditorium 23, Zu Audio, Tidal, Classic Audio/Atmasphere, and Deja Vu Audio. I thought the Zu system with Omens and First Watt Sit monos was the best value priced system. Best system overall the stunning Deja Vu vintage system with their field coil speakers just astonishing sound.  I wish I had gotten more time to spend looked like there were lots more rooms this year.
128x128jond

Showing 4 responses by gsm18439

I liked the Zu, Shindo/Auditorium 23, and Border Patrol/Volti rooms. Also the ability to hear a refurbished pair of Quad 57s. The show was well organized with lots to see and hear. Definitely worth the trip.
I have heard DejaVu's vintage systems in the past, and they always sound good. (They were also some of the largest speakers at the show - certainly in terms of footprint.) These seem to be Vu's true passion. A visit to DejaVu audio is always a treat, but sometimes an obstacle course of vintage components.

I also like the Robyatt with the single Quad 57s. 

The Voltis were being driven by Border Patrol electronics, all of which use 300b tubes.

I also agree about the Classic Audio room - very bright, especially compared to previous years, and hard to tolerate. Not sure why. They were being driven by Atmosphere amplifiers.

My only issue with the Auditorium-23 Hommage 755 speakers was that they were in a very small room. (As were the Rhethms.) I left wondering how they would sound in a large space similar to my home. But the sound was rich and full,and  the speakers were elegant; it was a combination that I could easily live with. 
Charles

I did not spend much time in the Zu room. Just stopped in to say hello to Sean Casey. The new Druid VI look gorgeous, but cannot attest to their sound. (Sean was playing the Omens.) I prefer to listen to equipment that I cannot hear at home. Which is why of all the rooms that I visited, I was most impressed by the A23-Shindo room. It seems close to what I have at home. But, as I noted above, the room was very small. I have heard great systems in small rooms that "die" when they have to fill my rather large space. 

Gary
Charles: CAF has grown every year and is very well organized and Metro accessible. The number of dealers and rooms continues to grow - in a good way. As I understand it, the venue will be the same next year. 

Zu was showing its new Druid VI along with its Omens. I did not pay attention to the electronics.