Capital Audio Fest 2016

Just got back.   Did not see a thread for this yet so here it is.  

For me  lots of very good sound this year.    The best as a whole I have heard.   Very few disappointments.   Some old favorites enjoyed once again and a few new finds.   Will report more when I get a chance to digest it all a bit.  

I'm of course very interested to hear about what others thought and may have discovered?

128x128mapman

Showing 5 responses by jond

I was there just yesterday and really enjoyed it, my very first audio show ever. Favorite rooms for me:

Deja Vu Audio- astonishing Vu’s speakers were just finished Thursday using all vintage Western Electric drivers and sounded fantastic driving by a single 6wpc mono amp.  Sadly I can’t remember the output tube type but the dual blue mercury vapor rectifiers were stunning to see glowing blue! And yes I said a single mono amp, it sounded so good Vu said everyone just assumed it was stereo. Oh and lps spun on a gorgeous Garrard 301 TT, The sound in this room was holographic and my best of the show.

Audio Note- didn’t get to hear the cellist, room was too crowded but listening to the equipment, classic warm rich detailed sound, and quite affordable.

Zu Audio- my first time hearing Zu, driven by all Pass Labs, but a very solid vivid punchy sound. Also the vibe in that room was so chill and relaxed I didn’t want to leave.

Volti/Border Patrol- really nice sound a good balance of detail and warmth and a really tactile sound, highly enjoyable.

Tidal/Bricasti- totally not my cup of tea but I enjoyed way more than I anticipated, plus musical choices in this room were just outstanding! I would say the best digital sound I heard all day, most of my fave rooms had TTs. I wish they had turned the Rel sub off though, integration was really well done I just wanted to hear the speakers on their own.

Classic Audio Reproductions/Atmasphere- tough to argue with Ella and Louis on analog tape, super engaging and live sounding.

All in all a lot of fun though some rooms were disappointing overall it was a good learning experience and lots of great sound.
Another room I like that I forgot about was Fern and Roby great industrial design and use of natural materials and very solid sound.
@larryi  Thanks also for the info on Deja Vu and my mistake up above I could have sworn Vu said the drivers were all WE but I was obviously mistaken. And I never noticed they were open baffle either even after walking behind them! Good catch! I have to say I found the Voxativ room with the big horns to sound really tipped up bright and peaky, plus when I was in there they were playing some terrible new age music. The smaller room with the David Berning gear was much better sounding.
I totally missed Joseph Audio now I'm bummed have never heard one of their speakers before and was curious. Oh well I'll have to remember for next year. I see how dangerous audio shows are now too all I can think about are how I need new speakers!
Spencer I was in that room Saturday and I am amazed the sub wasn't turned on I assumed it was so pretty stunning bass from those speakers for their size. Also the musical selections in that room were fantastic and a lot of fun, kudos to your DJ!