cantelever not straight, advise please.

So I purchased a Dynavector 17D Mk2 from a fellow audiogoner here a couple weeks ago and received it yesterday. First thing I did was open the box and without removing the cart from the mounting plate or even removing the stylus guard I peeked a look at the cantelever. First thing I noticed is that it is not straight (by that I mean not parallel to the sides and square to the front of the cartridge body) I have seen other Dynavectors advertised as not having straight cantelvers and have purposly avoided them. The one I bought was advertised as being like new with 10 hours of use, no mention of the cantelever not being straight.

I'm not splitting hairs here either, it's way off, to the point where you could not use the cartridge body to align it.

I don't know how much of a big deal this is, except that I now own a cartridge that I would not sell without stating clearly that the cantelever is not straight.

I talked to the selling and he says he checked it under a microscope and that is was straight when it left his hands.

I don't think this is my problem at all and I should be offered a refund, but I'm not so sure the seller sees it that way. I told him I would be willing to give it a try, but if it falls off or something then he should stand behind it. I don't think he likes that either.

Just thought I'd run it by you guys here and see what the general consensus would be and if you think I should should just drop it mount it and hope it is OK, or demand a refund.
128x128ejlif

Showing 1 response by genesis168

The word is not "straight". Yes, I am sure the cantilever on the 17D2 is straight. I cannot be bent. It's made of a single diamond crystal and cannot be bent. It will just snap off. That's why the guy said it was straight under a microscope.

The real word is more like "true". I guess Ejif was meaning was that the cantilever is not pointing straight ahead. A little skewed to either side or off center. How much is it off?

As for your situation, ask the seller for a full refund or at least a partial one. Is the seller a reputable guy? How's his past feedback?