Canada Brokerage Fees - Fed Ex

Just thought I would share this. I had an item shipped from the US worth $50 and I paid just $18.50 brokerage fees to Fed Ex. (This is on top of the shipping charges).

This brokerage fee was just to pay roughly $3 worth of canadian tax. The brokerage fee amounts to roughly a 600% mark up for handling these duties(service includes a letter sent to me, processing my check and paying the customs duty and any costs incurred for non payments by others)

Here are Fed Ex brokerage rates for clearing customs to Canada;

Value for Duty ($); Fees
$0 - 20; No Charge
$20 - 40; $6.50
$40 - 75; $18.50
$75 - 100; $19.00
$100 - 200; $28.00
$200 - 350, $36.00
$350 - 500, $40.50
$500 - 750, $46.25
$750 - 1000, $52.25
$1000 - 1250, $57.50
$1250 - 1600, $60.25
$1600 - 5000, $64.25

As can be seen the threshold above $40 Canadian is where it starts to become a very high fee in relation to the duties/value of the item shipped.

At $40 the fee is 46% of the value of the item shipped.

At $1600 the fee is 4% of value of the item shipped.

According to the above table and value of your item shipped, you should consider whether to use Fed Ex or not and advise the sender accordingly.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xshadorne

Showing 3 responses by slikric3000

Brokers have to pay office rent and utilities and employees just like everybody else. Fed Ex and a broker are two different entities.
Ncarv, you paid a fee. It was included in the price of the shipment and not itemized like say Fed Ex. Any shipment that is import or export must be brokered through a customs brokerage in which shippers are usually responsible for that arrangement. Being that I am a truck driver I know what the procedure is to move freight across borders and it always involves a broker. Google customs brokers and you will get the general idea of the procedure. Brokerage fees are paid to the broker although a shipper may take their slice for preparing the paperwork to present to the broker. And on that note the shipper might not be the actual carrier that brings the freight across the border. I have moved many loads for UPS and I dont even work for them.
Look Ncarv, regardless of whether you got a bill or not ANY import or export shipment must be brokered through a customs broker. Believe me. Every time I bring freight into Canada or out I have to go see the broker. I am quite sure brokers don't work for free. So whether its you or whoever, somebody has to pay it. That is all I am saying. Like I say google customs broker, it is explained in pretty clear english that even I can understand.