Can you have too many tubes?

Hi...I have a TAD-150 signature tube preamp driving a Rogue Audio 90 tube amp. My front end is a Michell Gyro SE II with a Clearaudio Viruoso MM cartride. Would I be moving up if I added a dedicated phono stage? And if so, should it be tube or SS? Any recommendations are appreciated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xkdbrink

Showing 1 response by ellery911

Albert...you need more tubes...lots more.

Maybe you could rig all your light sockets in your listening room to use 300B's...it might make for some good mood lighting if nothing else.

I'm only teasing cause I've always admired your system...but really...WOW...that's a whole lotta glass!

Now...tell me...how many extra tubes do you have boxed up around the house for the tube rolling adventure...how would you even begin rolling so many tubes?

I know that I probably have no business even asking this as it is in a different league than I am in...and most of the threads that you contribute to are also in that league so I just read but not ask or post usually...but when I read something about 100+ tubes in a system it makes my mind spin...the $$$'s have nothing to do with it...just the patience to be able to come up with your preferred "mix" blows my mind.

Someday I may have the chance to hear a system of your caliber...but I'm afraid that I would be spoiled to the point that I would never be satisfied again and then end up selling all my stuff and buying an ipod.