Can you believe this?

I went through my garage the other day & pulled out my old Phase Linear 8000 Series II turntable.
I knew I had it, but didn'd know which box it was in when we moved here over 4 years ago.
I had not used it in about 20 years & had gone through 10 or 12 high end turntables in that time (Garrard, Nottingham, Oracle, Clearaudio, Avid & Verdier) just to name a few.
First I took it down to my man cave & cleaned it up.
Then I started to set it up & realized I might have a problem.
The patch cords (RCA) needed cleaning - So I cleaned them with alcohol.
Then I attached the RCA jacks to my phono stage (Pamphili).
Next was to attach the Pamphili to the pre amp (Einstein II) which has only balanced inputs, so I got out a pair of RCA cords & attached the RCA to XLR adapters & thought all was going fine.
I powered up all the components & hit the start button on the turntable & the arm started to move in a very weird way (tracking to the right).
I thought I had leveled it properly, but I guess I was wrong.
After trial & error for about 20 minutes with some good ole Kentucky leverage the table was properly balanced.
I pulled out my favorite Doc Severensen LP & was ready for a listen.
I didn't know what to expect next, but another problem arised - Music was only coming from the left channel.
First I removed the headshell & checked the connection to the cartridge (Ortofon MC 20) & all seemed well.
Next was the connection between the cables & the RCA to XLR adapters & that seemed fine.
Now I had figured out that the 30 year old cartridge was at fault - I had my ZXY Universe SSB handy & figured what the hell - A $5K cartridge on a $800 turntable?
To my dismay - Left channel only again.
OK - It must be the RCA cables between the phono pre & the pre amp.
I get out another pair of RCA cables, attached the RCA to XLR adapters, connect everything back together & am hoping that it's not the RCA jacks that lead from the turntable itself.
VOILA! The turntable cued properly to the first cut & both channels were producing music.
To my amazement the sound was spectactular!
To say I was "FLOORED" is a gross understatement.
I pulled out Billy Joel (An Innocent Man Half - Speed Mastered), Melissa Manchester - For The Working Girl), Huey Lewis - Sports - Half Speed Mastered), Jackson Browne - Lawyers In Love) & was up until 3:00 AM celebrating with some Hennessey XO & trying to figure out why some of my much more expensive (turntable, cartridge, arm & phono pre) didn't put this 30 year old turntable & arm to waste?
Meet the new boss - Same as the old boss!
I always knew that I had kept this gem of a turntable for a reason & did not sell it when I sold all my Phase Linear gear over 20 years ago - Now I know why!
Some of you must think that I must be out of my mind, but I have had some $25K turntables, $10K tonearms, $15K cartridges & $12K phono pre amps & what I am now hearing is almost as great (90% - 95%) as anything I have owned prior to putting this old relic back into my system.
It's almost a shame that I thought that newer & belt drive & high mass was the only way to go when I had this Japaneese direct drive linear tracker sitting around & unused all these years.
When i get a chance - I'll try the original Ortoforn MC 20 again & see how she sounds as I bought it back in the day when I got the 8000 II.
Maybe I'll give the $15K Clearaudio Insider Reference Wood a shot too.
Now my wife can put her new car in the garage & I'll be in my listening room putting on one LP after another.
That's my story & I'm stickin' to it!

128x128paladin

Showing 1 response by slikric3000

You put your audio in the garage, I bet you put your wife there to. You should be ashamed of yourself.