Can Wilson Audio Sophia live in a 150 sqf room

To be push by Mark Levinson 26s+23.5 but in a 9x16.5 feet room. Is that OK with no bloom or bass overload??
ken1967

Showing 2 responses by rgs92

I don't know about the Sophias, but I had Watt-Puppy 6s in a very nearfield setup, and they worked well, with a very contained & controlled bass and midrange. They reminded me of a big pair of headphones. I did not like the sometimes abrasive highs, but I always hear this on Watt-Puppies in any size room.
To expand a bit on my remarks above, as a former WP6 owner, I always felt that the the Watt Puppies were on the verge of greatness, with, to my ears, perfect bass, bass that is "just there", never coming from the drivers or even the Puppy cabinet itself. The bass seems to attach itself to the musical instrument producing it.
It is kind of the polar opposite of the bad-subwoofer effect.
Also, the soundstaging is amazing, with each component having not only it's own point in a 3D space, but it's own size.
Thus, I wondered why Dave Wilson always used that ruthless tweeter (I think it was the tweeter) that could generate horribly buzzy vocals and some piano notes that had electric overtones.

I always wished that Dave could get together with, say, Albert Von Schweikert, who has the upper frequencies perfected some of his models (like the VR-9, with it's superb tweeter + ribbon supertweeter design), & try to reimplement the highs in the W/P.

I'm no audio engineer, so I guess I'm speaking from ignorance, but I would love to hear an experimental version of the Watt with some sort of ribbon, soft dome, or maybe even a Beryllium one. Maybe a W/P 8 will have this.

This concept of the resistor change is new to me. Thanks for the comments.