Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55

Showing 1 response by oldschool1948

I have a Teac X10-R and about 15 (remaining) Maxell dbx 224 type II recorded reels.  At one point, I had about 40 reels but my Ampex reels deteriorated to the point where they were unplayable. 

Back in the 80's, I used two Technics SL-1600 MK2 turntables and a Rodec mixer in my home "studio."  I would spend months recording individual R&B and Jazz tracks to make a reel for my personal enjoyment.  I recorded albums and selected songs from albums that you cannot find on any streaming source.  I love vinyl, but it was so much easier to just play a reel of the songs I liked.  

My vintage gear is over 30 years old and I've tried to maintain it in like new condition.  No one's post is going to change my opinion of what I like or use.  I'm 71, more than likely, my R2R will die with me. But until them, I will continue to play and enjoy a reel now and then.