Can US 220v be used to power foreign 220v pieces?

I googled the above with no sufficient answer for audiophilic equipment. Anyone here with experience using a domestic 220v line to power an overseas sourced 220v piece? If so were the results sonically successful ( no humming, etc) and were there any equipment malfunctions?
mojoetoo

Showing 1 response by p59teitel

I run two dedicated 10 gauge 240V lines for my German-made Symphonic Line Kraft 250 monos. Voltage at the outlet runs between 239V and 243V. The lines are attached to 30 amp breakers in the breaker box. I actually had the amps converted back to 240V from the 120V they were imported at. I have subsequently been told by the leading SL tech in this country that the conversion back to 240V was best for the amps at startup, as feeding them 240V current would assure smoother startup. So far I have had no issues whatsoever.

The 30 amp breakers each take up two 120V slots in the breaker box. Perhaps this is what Ptss is referring to? I'd certainly consult an electrician before attempting any DIY work at the outlet box to create 240V service using typical 15 or 20 amp breakers and 12 gauge electrical wire that is used in normal 120V operation. That does not sound like it would meet code requirements for 240V service.